Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Harmful Thoughts




I fool myself when I think that my harmful thoughts about myself don't affect the way I move in the world.

"Trying to fix the world is like trying to change a movie by manipulating the movie screen. The world as we know it is simply a screen onto which we project our thoughts. Until we change those thoughts, the movie stays the same."
- Marianne Williamson, 'The Gift of Change'

I give myself permission to neglect others when I neglect myself. And I give myself permission to hate others when I hate myself.

The opposite is also true: When I am loving myself I am also loving the whole world.

I think I just watched a young-cutie Starbucks barista experience this:

I ask him, "How are you doing?"

He answers, "Over-worked and under-paid."

I find myself questioning whether I should bother him further, but I know that he just gave me his honest answer because he feels familiar with me.

So I order.

And he proceeds to spill the hot beverage onto his hand.

I said something stupid like, "Oh please don't do that. You are just torturing yourself. I heard what you said about how you're feeling right now."

He got a bit perturbed. Not only was he already feeling put-out by his job, but then he burned his hand, and I'm pointing out the whole situation to him.

At the end of our transaction, I said, "Be well." And as I walked away I found myself questioning again my support of this experience. It did seem to give a real time example of how when we are already in a bad mind state things only seem to contribute to that feeling of "having a bad day."

Doesn't this kind of thing happen all the time?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Yoga Spy said...

Timely post. I have been thinking about the link between one's internal and external lives: how much does one control the other? In the barista case, it does seem linked: he was not thrilled being there; he was probably distracted; he was thus prone to accidents. Once an accident does happen, that negative mindset exacerbates the situation. A happy, at-ease person can make a joke or otherwise lighten the mood.

Last week I wrote a post in a related vein, on the topic of synchronicity ala Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way: http://yogaspy.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/addendum-on-synchronicity/.