Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Distractions and Obstacles




"The distractions and obstacles (Chitta Viksepa) which hinder the aspirant's practice of Yoga are:
1. Vyadhi - sickness which disturbs the physical equilibrium
2. Styana - languor or lack of mental disposition for work
3. Samsaya - doubt or indecision
4. Pramada - indifference or insensibility
5. Alyasya - laziness
6. Avirati - sensuality, the rousing of desire when sensory objects possess the mind
7. Bhranti Darsana - false or invalid knowledge, or illusion
8. Alabdha Bhumikatva - failure to attain continuity of thought or concentration so that reality cannot be seen
9. Anavasthitattva - instability in holding on to concentration which has been attained after long practice."
-B.K.S. Iyengar, Light on Yoga, 31st paragraph of the Introduction.

I check off eight of these for sure. At one time or another I have experienced plenty of distractions and obstacles, let me tell you. I sure will! The nineth one I'm not totally sure about, but I can relate with the concept.

The path of Yoga contains obstacles. It is true. It's not always pleasant and easy. When we are first learning Yoga we might do it in a way that keeps ourselves engaged, even entertained or soothed. Maybe at first it is fun, challenging or gentle. But at some point we will want to consider what might get in the way, preventing us from going further. I am all for fun, all for challenging, and all for gentle! These practices have their time and place. For sure! Yeah!

I just know that I gain increased confidence, strength, opening in my body and mind as I stay with the practice and overcome obstacles that show up. Yoga takes time. Yoga is worthwhile.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: