Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Inspired by 'Light on Yoga'


Earlier this year I wrote a series of posts inspired by the first fourteen paragraphs of the Introduction to Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar. I started the project because every time I read the intro I thought that every paragraph just seemed so dense and powerful! The word "introduction" didn't seem to accurately describe the contents of that section to me; it seemed more like a treatise on the subject. So I thought that it might be fun to dig in and look at each paragraph and do a post about it. I continued through until paragraph fourteen, and then took a break from the project. Here are the links to those posts:

Posts inspired by the Introduction of Light on Yoga:

Paragraph 1 Defining Yoga
Paragraph 2 Where Yoga comes from
Paragraph 3 Who is a Yogi?
Paragraph 4 Bhagavad Gita: the most important authority on yoga philosophy
Paragraph 5 Different facets of yoga
Paragraph 6 Yoga by action
Paragraph 7 Skillful living
Paragraph 8 (part 2) Toward clarity
Paragraph 9 'chitta vrtti nirodhah'
Paragraph 10 The word vrtti
Paragraph 11 Controlling the mind
Paragraph 12 The right means
Paragraph 13 The outward quests
Paragraph 14 The inward quests

2 comments:

Bob Weisenberg said...

Thanks for this, Brooks. It will give me a good introduction to this classic, which I've been wanting to read.

I also love the idea of great bloggers like you reposting some of their favorite material from the past. I like the immediacy of blogging, but I don't like the fact that everyone's best writing gets buried just by the mere passage of time.

Bob Weisenberg
YogaDemystified.com

Brooks Hall said...

Thanks, Bob!