Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Inspired by 'Light on Yoga'

Earlier this year I wrote a series of posts inspired by the first fourteen paragraphs of the Introduction to Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar. I started the project because every time I read the intro I thought that every paragraph just seemed so dense and powerful! The word "introduction" didn't seem to accurately describe the contents of that section to me; it seemed more like a treatise on the subject. So I thought that it might be fun to dig in and look at each paragraph and do a post about it. I continued through until paragraph fourteen, and then took a break from the project. Here are the links to those posts:

Posts inspired by the Introduction of Light on Yoga:

Paragraph 1 Defining Yoga
Paragraph 2 Where Yoga comes from
Paragraph 3 Who is a Yogi?
Paragraph 4 Bhagavad Gita: the most important authority on yoga philosophy
Paragraph 5 Different facets of yoga
Paragraph 6 Yoga by action
Paragraph 7 Skillful living
Paragraph 8 (part 2) Toward clarity
Paragraph 9 'chitta vrtti nirodhah'
Paragraph 10 The word vrtti
Paragraph 11 Controlling the mind
Paragraph 12 The right means
Paragraph 13 The outward quests
Paragraph 14 The inward quests


Bob Weisenberg said...

Thanks for this, Brooks. It will give me a good introduction to this classic, which I've been wanting to read.

I also love the idea of great bloggers like you reposting some of their favorite material from the past. I like the immediacy of blogging, but I don't like the fact that everyone's best writing gets buried just by the mere passage of time.

Bob Weisenberg

Brooks Hall said...

Thanks, Bob!