Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Trusting my Steps







"Samsaya: The unwise, the faithless and the doubter destroy themselves. How can they enjoy this world or the next or have any happiness? The seeker should have faith in himself and his master. He should have faith that God is ever by his side and that no evil can touch him. As faith springs up in the heart it dries out lust, ill-will, mental sloth, spiritual pride and doubt, and the heart free from these hindrances becomes serene and untroubled."
-B.K.S. Iyengar, Light on Yoga, 36th paragraph of the Introduction.

"I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go."
-from a beautiful and mysterious poem by Theodore Roethke

I've learned to trust my steps because I've gone where I've had to go. The wonderful thing to me is that a coworker at the last Production Management job I did quoted that last line to me: I learn by going where I have to go. He didn't know what it was from or anything. It was posted (on a wall) somewhere when he was in school, and it stuck with him. Now it sticks with me. And it just seems so true. A door opened and I walked through it. How amazing!

My passion for Yoga overcame any doubt. I went where I had to. An incredible pull magnetized me to the Path of Yoga. And I continue to trust where I'm going, even though I can't see how it will work out, exactly.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

And, judging by the photo, you've developed some serious yoga feet--check out how far those toes can spread apart!--to take those steps...

Donna said...

Love the quote - am printing it off an taping it to my mirror to guide me through the coming year.

Also nice to find someone else who has "frog feet." My students always comment on mine and think it is a strange genetic mutation.

Laura said...

Wonderful quote Brooks and in my life the only way I seem able to learn...
breath by breath, moment by moment,
step by step.

Happy New Year!

earthtoholly said...

It used to annoy me when I'd hear, "do what you've gotta do" when trying to make a decision... knowing what's right--and best-- but selfishly wanting to go the other way.

I'm going to remember the wise words here...they're very inspiring, not guilting like those other words up there...

Thanks, Brooks, for stopping by to see Lucy...she loved your visit!