Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

There's no place like Home

This is a Guest Muse by Jan Tranen.



Some days, I walk into yoga class feeling like the Tin Woodsman from the Wizard of Oz because the Wicked Witch of Happenstance has rusted my hinges into place. Thankfully, with the first “om”, my jaw unlocks. With the first downward-facing dog, my hips and shoulders begin to open. A backbend, and I breathe. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

As my body is lubricated by asana, yogini Brooks playfully encourages my spirit to emerge and meet the others in the room, who are releasing their inner cowardly lion, scarecrow and Dorothy selves. Now that we are closer to our humanity, Brooks reads us a poem by Mary Oliver to remind us that we are all part of the bigger natural world. Brooks, the Good Witch of the Yoga Circle, reminds us there’s no place like home. In our bodies, there is a world.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

8 comments:

Linda-Sama said...

"In our bodies, there is a world."

Buddha said the same....

YogaforCynics said...

I suspect I'm closer to the Cowardly Lion....you're right, though, ultimately, we're all Dorothy, doing tapyourheelsasana to find a home within ourselves...

Brooks Hall said...

When Jan mentions releasing the Dorothy self--that's what got me. I was identifying with something about that. Wow, I can/should/it would be good to release the inner Dorothy, the naive one away from home believing in fantasies, caught up in the dream. And at the same time, like YogaforCynics said, she is also the one who brings us home.

Thanks, Jan! You made me think.

Claudia said...

Awww what sweet metaphore

Kay Burnett said...

thanks you Jan. I love seeing you in Brooks class.

Bob Weisenberg said...

Like it. Thanks.

Bob Weisenberg
YogaDemystified.com

Tom Bailey said...

I find myself having to force out comparisons, shoulds and my ego when entering yoga and have to constantly remind myself it is just my practise.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

Namaste.

Laura said...

I love the way you painted your yoga experience though the vision of the land of Oz...really fun. Yoga can totally bring us home to our wholeness.