Friday, November 20, 2009


Guest Muse by Andyogini:

"I say beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes."
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I love yoga for all the usual worthy reasons, and I love yoga for some frivolous ones, too.
I am entitled to shop at Lululemon and carry their cool bags.
Toting my pink yoga mat seems to disperse what I call my Senior Cloak of Invisibility.
I find I can reach my right hand all the way around to the left side of my head and thus trim my hair more evenly.
I can get a lot closer to my feet to tend to my toenails.


I never thought Yoga could be for me. Stretching was just that—a stretch. I thought it was for ancient Indian gentleman and supple young women with Gumby-like ligaments. I was lured into a class once by an acquaintance. It was full of ladies who all seemed to be showing off and showing me up! (And, turning me off.)

Years later, I had the great good luck to encounter Brooks’ class. There I realized it didn’t matter how far I could bend or how long I could balance. I embraced my yoga and did what I could and it was enough. My yoga was my yoga and my classmates’ yoga was their yoga. We’re individuals on our own journeys, yet we’re traveling together. I wish the best for my yoga mates and for me, and that is part of my practice, too.

Thanks Brooks!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


YogaforCynics said...

Of course you know you're making those of us too far away to attend Brooks' classes jealous...(no offense to the truly wonderful teachers I have closer to home).

Never thought of yoga as helping in cutting one's own hair. I tried tried cutting mine once, when I was maybe seven or eight. My mom wasn't happy about that at all.

Grace said...

It is nice being able to scratch the middle of your own back:)

Eco Yogini said...

fantastic :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Everybody.

Grace, (My mother's dear) I need a strap to connect in the middle!