Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Getting really good at the everyday stuff...




Now that I know my stories--better than most people (I am sure)--it is time to ignore those meanings that past events bring to my current reality. I have taken the time to write and know myself to a point that is either extraordinary or selfish. And what I see right now is the need to "just get really good at the everyday stuff," as a friend recently said about her life.

I have flown high. I have gone far into the previously uncharted terrain inside myself. Admittedly, I have been more introspective than most. And it seemed so important to do this and to honor my own life.

A friend who recently got back from India showed me a picture that was taken inside a little dark room, like a cave. Just discernable, there was a man there who was apparently, according to my friend, well over 100 years old. Someone, a seeker I suppose, had placed their head in the man's lap, and the man was stroking the persons hair. How beautiful, I thought, and so different from things here. I thought of Amma, the hugging saint. People stand in incredible lines to wait for her hug. And that's it. So simple: a hug, stroking of hair, and this fills a need for people. And I think I get it. In looking at the picture, I found myself thinking how wonderful it would be to place my head in his lap and feel my hair stroked by those wise hands...

I have fears that hover around certain things that sometimes prevent me from doing what needs to be done, giving birth to unhealthy habit patterns. So now that I understand a good deal about why this happens, it is actually time to let go and move forward. ...and accept the hugs where I can get 'em!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

"I have taken the time to write and know myself to a point that is either extraordinary or selfish."

I can certainly say the same about myself...and, ultimately, I think what it comes down to is what I do with it. Certainly, self-knowledge can aid me in every aspect of life, including my relations with other people. But, then, introspective habits can also leave me stuck staring at my belly button, a position in which is hard to deal with everyday stuff(and, in fact, I feel myself way too much sucked toward that possibility). So, I guess, the trick is to use what you know instead of getting stuck in it...which is, of course, far easier said than done...

Laura said...

:)

Linda-Sama said...

"How beautiful, I thought, and so different from things here"


that is the beauty of India. believe me.

Emma said...

that love is taking it off the mat. connection is how we practice!