Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Details in Alignment with Beliefs




I've been thinking about some words I read recently on Yogic Dancer:

"When my life's details are in alignment with my beliefs, I am at peace."

In asking myself the question:

Are the details of my life in line with my beliefs?

It is clear to me that some details are not in line. And I also can imagine myself more in synch even though I recognize areas that need work in my life situation right now. So I can also imagine that different people will have different answers to this question.

I can also see areas where the details of my life ARE in synch with what I believe.

I am without conflict when it comes to my work life as a Yoga Teacher. And I don't mean that it's all easy, because it's not always that way. It's just that I know that I am doing this for the right reasons, and it is something I want to do. Doing Yoga has been a special manna for my soul, feeding me in ways I didn't even know I was hungry until I had the experience. Then it became clear that it was something I needed. So being in a position where I can share this technique with others is a great blessing, and excellent alignment with something I believe is helpful and important.

I don't own a TV. This situation is in line with my belief that the television is a big distraction, and I like to be available to think in other ways besides "programming".

A really interesting thing about beliefs is that they can also change. I haven't been TV shopping or anything... But, I was thinking earlier this year that I might like to watch the Oscars (I did watch a lot of movies last year) or part of the Olympics. So if my belief changes enough I'll make the change to be in line with my new belief.

Because beliefs can change, there might be some momentum behind things that are no longer true for someone. And in a case like that a person would need to consciously start doing things differently to be in line with who they are today.

I used to think smoking pot was cool, even though I didn't enjoy it that much or all the time. But it was important to me to have a "bowl" in the house to smoke it when it came around. It was a cherished object that spent a lot of time hidden. So it seems that I believed it important to be prepared for potential smoking in my house. Several years ago I finally threw it away. It just wasn't important to me anymore...

Now, this might be sad for some readers, but things can always change...

I just want my mind and experience to be as clear as possible, so I'm prepared to continue taking steps towards this belief. I believe that seeing clearly is what I want. There are details I can attend to that will support my aim.

It's always a work in progress, I think.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

Interesting way to think about "alignment"...and another great metaphor...

By the way, while the Olympics may've been worth seeing (I don't know, since I have a TV that gets no reception, so just use it as a receiver for my DVD player), as far as the Oscars go, you missed four incredibly boring hours (I was visiting my mom, and she always watches them)...far better to read about who won what the next day...

Brenda P. said...

Who needs TV, when you've got the internet?

I agree with Dr. Jay--I like this idea of mental alignment. Probably a lot harder to achieve than balancing in Vrksasana...

I think we could probably all use a close look at beliefs vs life...

Elize said...

beautiful- and such an important concept, that things can (and do) change. I think that is one reason we can suddenly "find" ourselves unhappy, when those beliefs have changed, but not our living habits...

I find such inspiration in your blog, thank you for visiting mine :)