Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Love Thee


"I love thee, as the glad bird loves
The freedom of it's wing,
On which delightedly it moves
In wildest wandering."
-Eliza Acton, I Love Thee

I read this poem fragment to students today in Oz Park. It was a class for Lululemon, and tons of students showed up. It was fun. The day was gorgeous! When we were walking to our spot there were people getting their party started with some tunes. So I was a little concerned about how it would go, but it was fine. Any other noises were just there as I taught. There was a lovely wind, cool shade, cool grass, and warm sun. We did standing poses, balancing poses, plenty of "warriors", forward folds, backbends, inversions, seated poses, and some poses lying on the back.

The group was large enough that when I read the poem, I read it four times--one for each quadrant of the group. I walked to one corner of mats and prefaced the poem by saying that I was reading it in the spirit of yoga helping to cultivate a good relationship with one's self (I mean, could I just have said, "I love you" to a big group, many of whom I had just met? I didn't want to turn them off...). Then I walked to three other spots and repeated my spiel three more times. I was quite satisfied to have pulled that off. I regularly read poetry to my classes, and here I did, too. I found a way that worked.

And when the group came out of Savasana at the end, I suggested that they do it from the place I recognized in the poem: a place of inner freedom, where it is okay to honor your capacity to be free. 

We honored our inner wildness!

3 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

Reading poetry to your classes...another reason I need to get out to Chicago for some downward facing dog one o' these days....

Inner wildness is, of course, the important part...most people, when they think of getting "wild and crazy" tend to do so everywhere except where it counts...

Eco Yogini said...

what a beautiful poem!

so nice that you got to practice outside. it has been raining for two weeks straight here... feels like we should be in Vancouver instead of Halifax... lol.

Anonymous said...

Brooks is so Humble. That session in Oz Park was Magnificent !! I know ... I was there !

She transformed the park into Paradise with her kindness, joy and love while sequencing our session masterfully. Brooks was Radiant as she created a blissful yogic experience !

Brooks made an environment for our practice that brought us -- elevated us -- to a place many of us never would have experienced on our own. She's inspiring ! And I can barely contain my enthusiasm for her masterful work !!

I wish you could be in Chicago to luxuriate in class with Brooks.

The next best thing ? Invite her to your studio for a workshop !! That way your yoga community can soak her up too !

My promise -- It will be a thrilling experience !!