Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pretty Hair and Social Norms.

So yesterday I was at a party and someone noticed that my hair was different than the last time they had seen me. They said something like, "Yeah the last time I saw you you had that pretty hair…" And, "What inspired you to do this to your hair?" Does this someone not see that this is an insensitive line of questioning? …even mean or rude? But I see that this person may not have realized the meanness of this. It was kind of like I was experiencing a tentacle of correction coming out of the dominant power norms of our times: pretty hair is long hair, when I really like exploring different hair for myself right now. It's fun. I like it. Meow.

5 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

i love your hair!! it's FUN :)
i do hate it when people say things like that though, it's like- where is the filter? at the same time, they may not have realized how it would sound.... (and if they did, they aren't worth your time anyway :) ).

Vegan Burnout said...

Your hair is beautiful and totally rad! Mine is super-short and has been bright pink, red, and purple at various times (sometimes all at once). It's astounding the rude things people say without thinking. Carry on being awesome. :)

smiths721 said...

Your hair is a living sculpture, brooks. It changes with your artisti c temprament, as all good art should. Vibrant, lovely, truly " Brooks" is what i'd call it. I heartily approve of this statement of your passion. Keep on, ms.V. Surprise me always. Make something grow.

Unknown said...

Yes, incredibly rude! Most people seriously do not realize the words they say can affect other people. I always want to remind them of the old "If you can't say something nice..."

Cocktail Lady said...

It amazes me when people say things like that. It's like.....did you not THINK before you opened your mouth? Obviously not. From what I can see in the pic of you, you hair looks fun and spunky, I like it! Cheers!!